A vibrant salad – both in color and taste. And straightforward – in preparation and flavors. This salad pairs especially well with ribs or other rich, grilled meats.
1 – 2 balls of fresh mozzarella
½ cup fresh basil leaves
2 – 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 – 4 tablespoons EVOO + extra for cooking the beets
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Scrub the beets well. Toss with a little olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in a 400F oven for 20 – 30 minutes, or until beets are tender when piereced with a paring knife. Let beets cool
2. Cut the tomatoes into chunks. Cut mozzarella into chunks.
3. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and then cut into chunks.
4. Toss the beets, tomatoes, basil, olive oil and vinegar together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the mozzarella – either just before serving to maintain its snow white color, or mixed in to let the beets dye it pink.